Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) held a public hearing on Tuesday, June 27, 2017. It began with an open house followed by a formal presentation.
An intersection study was performed in March 2014 for the State Road 15 (U.S. 17 / S. Orange Avenue) at State Road 16 (Leonard C. Taylor Parkway) intersection in Clay County. The study revealed that the intersection experienced approximately nine crashes per year from 2010 to 2012. The prominent safety concerns included the southbound and westbound rear-end crash trends, the north-south left turn crash trend, and the angle crash trend exiting the State Road 16 gas station driveway. As a result of the study, FDOT has decided to improve the safety and operational characteristics of the intersection and adjacent driveways through turn lane additions, lengthening of existing turn lanes, using protected-only signalized left turns, and construction of a traffic separator along SR 16 for access management.
These improvements include:
- Replace traffic signal and pedestrian features at intersection
- Install a new traffic separator on State Road 16
- Construct dual southbound left turn lanes on U.S. 17 and widen State Road 16 to four lanes
- Construct a westbound left turn lane on State Road 16
- Construct a northbound left-turn lane on U.S. 17 at the median opening north of State Road 16.
- Extend the westbound right-turn lane on State Road 16
- Adjust drainage to accommodate the proposed improvements
Roads: U.S. 17, State Road 16
Cities: Green Cove Springs